Call us on: 0800 980 3464   

About Us

Now with five branches, Belson and Sons was founded by Leonard P. Belson in 1955 when he established the Docklands practice in London's East End after leaving the Royal Army Medical Corps. He went on to become one of the country's leading practitioners, especially in the emerging field of contact lenses, and carried out research with some of the leading contact lens laboratories of the day, much of which was published in professional journals. He became a well-known and popular figure in Docklands up to his retirement in 1992.

Over the years Belson & Sons has expanded gradually with the following additions:

  • Pitsea in 1981 (acquired from Anne Rath)
  • Witham in 1983 (believed to be one of the oldest optician's practices in the UK still in private hands)
  • Corringham in 1991
  • and Grays in 2017 (acquired from Kennedy Rath).

Full location and contact details for all our branches can be found on our Branches page.

In addition to the practices, in 1987 the group opened its own Prescription Laboratory, where over 90% of the spectacles dispensed in the practices are made.

The group is now operated by Leonard Belson's sons, Simon and Seth, and Simon's son Ethan. Between them they maintain the strong tradition of family eye care and quality products which have always made the practices so successful.